Fox News Channels videos won't play

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 02:28:56 UTC 2010

On 03/31/2010 07:37 AM, Temlakos wrote:
> On 03/31/2010 10:24 AM, john wendel wrote:
>> On 03/31/2010 06:49 AM, Temlakos wrote:
>>
>>> I've come back to this issue of the Fox News Channel videos not wanting
>>> to play, because perhaps I have some more information that might provide
>>> a clue.
>>>
>>> Fox News Channel hosts a number of videos, and provides an embedding
>>> link to each one. About an hour ago, I went to find one. When my Fedora
>>> 12/Firefox 3.5.8 setup wouldn't play nice, I went to another machine
>>> that had Windows XP on it. I was able to play the video there, and to
>>> get the embedding script. I got it and pasted it into an article I wrote.
>>>
>>> And when I went to display my article, guess what? The video wouldn't play.
>>>
>>> Here is the link to the article I wrote, that has the embedded video:
>>>
>>> <http://www.examiner.com/x-28973-Essex-County-Conservative-Examiner~y2010m3d31-Census-bureau-can-only-blame-itself-for-nonresponse>
>>>
>>> Here is the embedding URL I used:
>>>
>>> <script type="text/javascript"
>>> src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4106724&w=400&h=249"></script><noscript>Watch
>>> the latest news video at<a
>>> href="http://video.foxnews.com/">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>
>>>
>>> And now: here is what that script embed.js contains:
>>>
>>> if(document.domain.indexOf('rightscoop')<    0) { document.write(''); }
>>>
>>> And that's it.
>>>

>> [snip]
>>
>> Played fine here, Firefox 3.6.2,
>>

>>> Shockwave Flash
>>>
>>>       File: libflashplayer.so
>>>       Version:
>>>       Shockwave Flash 10.1 d51
>>>
>> Time to update your browser.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John
>>

> Then you recommend abandoning the Fedora build and going directly to
> Mozilla for their latest RPM?
>
> And the same with Flash? I'm using "R45"; you have "D51."
>
> Temlakos

Well, I see from other replies that the Fedora build will play these
videos properly, so, NO I would not recommend going directly to Mozilla
for their browser. I'm not sure where the Flash came from, probably
Adobe's website.

I enjoy "breaking" my system, so I often run non-fedora releases of
stuff.  The Mozilla version of Firefox didn't run correctly
out-of-the-box on my (F11) system. To make it work I had to set the
environment with "export CANBERRA_DRIVER=null" before running Firefox.

I installed Firefox in my home directory (/home/john/firefox) and kept
the Fedora version.

Regards,

John