gedit ...cannot create backup !!!

Gregory Hosler ghosler at redhat.com
Thu Apr 1 09:53:57 UTC 2010

On 04/01/2010 01:08 PM, Jatin K wrote:
> Dear all
>
> suddenly I'm getting this error whenever I try to edit a text file and
> click save button
>
> " Could not create a backup file while saving /path/to/file.txt"
> gedit could not backup the old copy of the file before saving the new
> one.You can ignore this warning and save the file anyway.
> but if an error occurs while saving , you could lose the old copy of the
> file. Save anyway ?"
>

> yesterday, everything was ok.. and this morning I'm getting this
>
> whats wrong with gedit ?? can anyone help me ?

The most likely causes of this error would be:

	- permissions
	- path to dest directory doesn't exist at some point, or
	  permission denied at some point.
	- quota
	- filesystem has been mounted/remounted ro (due, for example
	  to an i/o error)

if you can 'ls -l /path/to/file.txt' and the dest file actually exists, see what
are the permissions of the file. perhaps it cannot be opened for write (to
re-write it with the new contents).

See if the dest directory exists, and make sure you have write access to it.

	touch /path/to/file.txt.foo
	rm /path/to/file.txt.foo

check your quota

	quota

check if the partition that the dest file lives in is mounted r/o

	mount -v

Hope that helps,

- -Greg

> Regards

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
                (from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler                                   ghosler at redhat.com    |