Audio Device Permission setting

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Apr 1 17:20:00 UTC 2010

On 04/01/2010 10:00 AM, Leonard Adjei wrote:
> I've been using MP3Act, an AJAX based web application that allows you
> to organize your music centrally.
> The thing is, I've been using the application partially being limited
> to streaming mode only.Mp3act has a
> jukebox mode too that allows the user to play directly from the web
> page. In the installation documentation the user
> needs to  "set the permissions of the audio device to be writable by
> the apache user".
>
> I do not know how to do this, does anyone have any ideas or theories
> regarding this???

Why in the world would a streaming _server_ need access to the audio?
If it's streaming, it shouldn't be touching the audio hardware.  The
_client_ might need something weird (not really, you can play Flash
and such without changes), but the _server_?

The only thing I can think of is that jukebox mode makes the server
actually play the audio on the server through the server's audio
hardware and MP3Act behaves as nothing more than a web-based remote
control for the server.

If that's the case, I think all you'd need is to add the apache user to
the "audio" group.  As root:

	# usermod -a -G audio apache

then restart Apache.  Don't know for sure.  SELinux might also get in
the way on this.