update help

Adalbert Prokop adalbert.prokop at gmx.de
Thu Apr 1 18:23:57 UTC 2010

Am 01.04.2010 18:53, schrieb Olaniyi Moluga:

Hi!

> Thanks a lot I really appreciate but upgrading had been a problem
> because  whenever I run a yum update I still get similar errors.

I can image that. :) But still, those "errors" can be safely ignored, if
yum finally succeeds. If in the end you get a message something like "no
more mirror servers available" then no server could be reached and then
we can look what the problem really is.

> I plan
> to upgrade to F12 but the problem now is the update.I guess a new
> installation would resolve the problem but my fear is my windows
> partition,is there a way the grub loader could be maintained while I
> install F12 on the old F10?

The windows partition is not really a problem. GRUB takes care of
Windows partitions an can present them in its menu - you can still boot
into Windows. But having two Linux installation is a little bit more tricky.

Grub can handle any number of installations (Windows, Linux, etc.) but
on each kernel update yum updates the grub configuration and puts a
reference to the new kernel there. But you want to keep F10 and F12
together. So both system need to access the /boot partition. If you did
not designate a separate partition for /boot then you must decide which
system will be the "leading" system.

For the sake of this example let's say you install F12 in a new
partition. F10 is still present on your disk. You have edit
/boot/grub/grub.conf manually and enter references to the kernel(s) and
root partition of F10.

Then you can boot both systems. But I do not know what yum will do to
your entries on the next kernel update. I suppose it will leave them
alone, but maybe a better GRUB expert can answer this question...?

P.S. Please do not post full quotes, it is not necessary and not seasonable.

--
bye
Adalbert