FPL steps down: what's the real story?

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 20:55:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 03:20:30PM -0400, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> >    On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Alan Cox <[1]alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
> >
> >    wrote:
> >
> >      On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:07:33 -0400
> >      Marcel Rieux <[2]m.z.rieux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >      > I've been a bit late to get to the Distrowatch weekly this week
> but I
> >      > finally heard about Paul Frields, the Fedora Project Leader,
> stepping
> >      down.
> >
> >      Can you explain why you posted this to the support list. It doesn't
> look
> >      like a bug or configuration problem to me.
> >
> >    Since I'm neither a developer nor an administrator, I thought I'd post
> on
> >    the user list. Where should I have posted?
>
> You're welcome to email me directly, which is one option! :-)

I can do this, but I'd prefer to discuss this openly. IMO, and in that of
other persons I believe, Red Hat/Fedora is facing a management problem which
has to do with how updates to the final stable release should be handled.

On the one side, there is your vision, and that of Red Hat. On the other,
this one:

<
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-March/008216.html

> At first I thought this might be an April Fools Day joke.

Though it wasn't intended to be posted as an April Fool's joke, I do know a
ltille bit more on the situation than I pretended. By giving incorrect
information on your position, I just wanted to have users voice their
opinion. It seems it's going to be tough.

I can assure you that I'm under no pressure from anyone to step down,

I never said this. I personaly think you were doing a fine job... in the
circumstances.

I've written a case study about how Ubuntu is run and how Red Hat is/should,
IMO, be run. From a non-geek like me, it might seem pretentious. It's
nonetheless my opinion. For now, it's only a draft, but I should be able to
finalize it in a day or two.

As I already observed here, Ubuntu, Google, Intel/Nokia are newcomers on the
free/open source scene and, if Red Hat is to keep up, even though it's
presently doing quite well, some important changes are needed. Red
Hat/Fedora will have to provide *very* stable final releases AND keep
developers happy.

If you want to continue this discussion privately, it's your choice.