FPL steps down: what's the real story?

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Thu Apr 1 21:42:57 UTC 2010

On 1 April 2010 22:06, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat at samsharpe.net> said:
>> You keep saying this. I shall make only two points as I am bored of
>> saying this time and time again.
>
> I would welcome you stopping saying this, since you present two extremes
> as the only possible choices (which they are not).

The Fedora Project Foundations are:

- Freedom
- Friends
- Features
- First

I believe that diverting resources into maintaining older releases
does not further any of the Foundations. It takes resources away from
further the last two principles.

To quote the Release Life Cycle page:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle

  Maintenance Schedule Rationale

Fedora is focused on free and open source software innovations and
moves quickly. If you want a distribution that moves slower but has a
longer lifecycle, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which is derivative of
Fedora or free rebuilds of that such as CentOS might be more suitable
for you. Refer to the RHEL page for more details.

Historically, the Fedora Project has found supporting two releases
plus Rawhide and the pre-release Branched code to be a manageable work
load.