FPL steps down: what's the real story?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Apr 2 03:52:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 23:23 -0400, Marcel Rieux wrote:

> That's the document about the board I was referring to, but it's not
> Fedora statutes, it doesn't say where Fedora stands in relation to Red
> Hat. Nowhere in this document will you find something to back your
> assertion that "Fedora is a completely separate entity".
>
> As a matter of fact, as Fedora is mainly financed by Red Hat as a test
> bench for RHEL, I can hardly see how Fedora could stand as "a
> completely separate entity". CentOS and Scientific Linux are separate
> entities from Red Hat, not Fedora.
>
> Maybe this should be made clearer so that developers understand what
> kind of project they're involved in. There are advantages working for
> a major Linux distribution such as Red Hat. Are there enough, I don't
> know. This is a question I raise in the case study I'm about to
> submit.
>
> It's not time to discuss this here but I certainly believe that
> developers' contribution should be more fully acknowledged, and I mean
> this not only in an abstract manner. For the unrest to cease --
> because there is some unrest -- the relation between development and
> management will have to evolve, just to make sure that it's impossible
> from now on for a CEO and his wife to run away with hundreds of
> millions $, leaving developers sixpence none the richer(1).
>
> (1) Of course, this is now impossible, but a sense of balance must
> still be established.
>
> When you ask developers to work, at least at the beginning, for free,
> you must play an honest game. Otherwise, you won't get the best. There
> should be a dynamic way to define when the beginning is being
> stretched too far, without tying development and management by any
> obligation.
>
> Investors also will gain from a development model that works.
----
You state things as if they were fact but they are not.

Fedora is not a 'test bed' for Red Hat. Fedora is a separately
maintained Linux distribution intended to drive Linux software
development.

Where is your source that Fedora is a test bed for Red Hat?

Where is this 'unrest' ? What unrest? You?

Perhaps if you had actually written computer code, you wouldn't assume
that contributors were pathetically ignorant about who owns the code
that they have written. It's all open source and free.

'Packaging' code for a distribution like Fedora is mostly volunteer
efforts.

There actually is a big difference between contributing code and
contributing packages but clearly you don't get it.

I simply cannot understand how someone who has never participated in the
development process at any level would think that their opinion is
anything but wholly uninformed and of little interest to those that
actually do have some knowledge of the process.

I find this sentence of yours, the height of stupidity... "the relation
between development and management will have to evolve, just to make
sure that it's impossible from now on for a CEO and his wife to run away
with hundreds of millions $, leaving developers sixpence none the
richer(1)." What is your plan to pay software developers for software
that is not sold but rather given away for free?

Get a blog for your uninformed opinions. I think you are seriously
underestimating the amount of hostility your ramblings generate. I am
saying this nicely.

Craig

believed to be clean.