Stable Fedora Releases

Leslie S Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 04:22:56 UTC 2010

First and foremost, ever since version 8, I have personally had no problems with Fedora releases and the usual daily set of updates.  For my testing and use, Fedora is stable.  In fact, for my use, Fedora 13 as delivered is stable. We are more then one month away from the official release of Fedora 13.

What I would like to see perhaps, is a change in the frequency for updates, where a kind of rolling version is created within each one of the 6 monthly releases. This can be achieved by not sending out daily updates but instead, collecting them and sending out  weekly ones.

Currently I do a yum update check every other day, and find large numbers of updates.  Is there a reason why these cannot be collected and set into weekly updates? I suppose I could just look for updates on a weekly basis, and that would answer my own question.

But if the policy was made that daily updates are reserved for emergency crash fixing,  severe bug fixing, or due to malware or virus attack protection, these updates would be recognized as being priority. On the weekly schedule, we could download a single compressed package.

While the weekly updates might be larger in size, but as they occur weekly, it might help out for producing a weekly unity (re)spin. For example, with my idea or weekly updates and weekly (re)spins, if I stay with F12 for a month after F13 is officially released, I could then download the latest unity (re)spin, and be up to date with most updates integrated. It is conceivable that the (re)spin is more bug-free then the actual QA'd production release.

So, give me weekly updates and weekly re(spins).

Regards
 Leslie
 Mr. Leslie Satenstein