Login errors after network change

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Apr 2 05:20:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 00:32 -0400, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> Hmm.. Got a more interesting one now..
>
> I'm logged in as an LDAP non-privileged user. From the menus, I select
> System|Administration|Add/Remove Software.  I add a couple packages
> such as screen and dialog.  On clicking Apply, I am warned:
>
> "You have failed to provide correct authentication. Please check any
> passwords or account settings."
>
> I don't see any place to provide this authentication in the menus.
>
> If I exit out and try to run the "gpk-application" (not sure if this
> is the correct app) I get a warning that I'm running as a privileged
> user.
>
> It's caching my credentials somewhere, because I know that at one
> point I was prompted to enter root password.
----
perhaps there was an issue with the original F12 release that would have
gotten fixed if you update to current.

Yes, there is a mechanism to cache credentials - I am not knowledgeable
about this but I think it's about a five minute cache.

If all else fails, you can get a virtual console, su to root (su -) and
then run the tool without any need to get credentials. But I wouldn't
know what the command is to launch packagekit (or whatever it is
called).

Craig

believed to be clean.