Firefox not running: unable to load XPCOM (was Re: )

David García Granda dgranda at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 07:48:28 UTC 2010

Hi Don,

>>> firefox-3.5.9-1.fc12 and now firefox won't start. I get a
>>> notice in the bottom bar for a few seconds and then it goes
>>> blank.
>>>
>>> Strange, I have the same package versions and firefox runs
>>> fine...

>>> "can't load XPCOM"
>>> /usr/lib/VirtualBox and
>>> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm
>>>
>>> Uhmmm... I don't have virtualbox installed, so this can
>>> make the difference.

>>> run firefox in virtualBox, but on the desktop.
>>> installed at the same time as the new firefox so I suspect
>>> the problem is between firefox and xulrunner.
>>>
>>> I think the problem here is VirtualBox.
>>

>> OK, I will try to remove VirtualBox, if I can figure out how

>>> for a long time successfully for quite a while Any help or
>>> advice would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Is it possible for you to check if XPCOM files related from
>>> VirtualBox
>>> conflict with Firefox/xulrunner ones?. Maybe something not
>>> compatible
>>> from VirtualBox is loaded instead of the right one.
>>
>> I will see what I can figure out about the related files
>>

>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>>> Message: 13
>>> Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:20:42 -0700
>>> From: suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: New Firefox Won't run
>>> To: Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>

>>> to firefox-3.5.9-1.fc12 and now firefox won't start. I get a
>>> notice in the bottom bar for a few seconds and then it goes
>>> blank.

>>> runs fine...

>>> returned "can't load XPCOM"
>>> in /usr/lib/VirtualBox and
>>> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm

>>> can make the difference.

>>> to run firefox in virtualBox, but on the desktop.
>>> installed at the same time as the new firefox so I suspect
>>> the problem is between firefox and xulrunner.

>>> It is improper methodology to start blaming other "most
>>> unlikely"
>>> packages before going through the proper troubleshooting
>>> steps. I
>>> don't have VBox installed and that file is there in my
>>> system.
>>> xulrunner is what firefox uses for all of its UI and
>>> configuration.
>>> (at least that is what I know)
>>>
>>> $ yum deplist firefox | grep xul
>>>    provider: xulrunner.x86_64
>>> 1.9.1-0.20.beta4.fc11
>>>    provider: xulrunner.x86_64
>>> 1.9.1.9-1.fc11
>>>   dependency: libxul.so()(64bit)
>>>    provider: xulrunner.x86_64
>>> 1.9.1-0.20.beta4.fc11
>>>    provider: xulrunner.x86_64
>>> 1.9.1.9-1.fc11
>>>   dependency: xulrunner >= 1.9.1.9
>>>    provider: xulrunner.x86_64
>>> 1.9.1.9-1.fc11
>>>    provider: xulrunner.i586 1.9.1.9-1.fc11
>>>    provider: xulrunner.x86_64
>>> 1.9.1-0.20.beta4.fc11
> [...]

Uhmmm... this may point us to some misconfiguration on Don's
environment. Let's try with the following:

1.- Did you try strace (strace -o strace.log firefox)?. If not, please
do it and post trace output file (strace.log in the example mentioned)
for inspection.

2.- Which architecture are you running (i686, x86_64)?. Do you have
mixed libraries?

3.- Can you paste the content of configuration files stored under /etc/gre.d/?

Regards,

David