Virtualization

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Apr 2 20:04:35 UTC 2010

Javier Perez wrote:
> Hi
> I am sorry if it has been asked before, but could not come up with the
> search terms to look it and I have not seen discussed on the WIKIs
>
> I am totally noob to virtualization and I was planning to start learning
> myself.
> I have a dual boot system (FC12, Win2k SP4).
>
> My question is ,If I want to convert it to a virtualized system, FC12 as
> the host system, win2k as a guest OS, do I have to
> reformat my HD, reinstall FC12, and then install win2k, or can I just
> install yum install the virtual parts for kvm and have it start as a guest
> the already isntalled win2k ?

I haven't done it in a year or so, but you should just be able to add the kvm
and go. You have to decide if you will use the qemu-kvm from the command line
(much easier than the virtlib folk want you to know) or virtlib, or vmware,
virtualbox, or any of the others.

Worked with FC10 and XP, don't have that setup any more.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>