New Kernel will not boot

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Apr 2 20:20:09 UTC 2010

Michael Miles wrote:
> On 04/01/2010 06:33 AM, Lawrence E Graves wrote:
>> I am having trouble with the installing of the new kernel release about
>> 2 days ago.  When I install it and reboot my system it stops at the
>> Fedora sign in the middle of the screen.  It is hard for me to explain
>> exactly what is happening because I am not good with the technical terms
>> used.
>>
> What are you using for a Video Card.
> The problem could be when you updated your kernel your video drivers did
> not get updated.

You have that backwards, the video drivers did get updated and the ones in the
kernel are... I can't find a polite term, let's just say not functional on many
display systems. While you can use the vendor drivers in some cases, the quick
way to see if this is the problem is to add
   "nomodeset video=vesafb"
to the end of the boot commands after "quiet." That should make almost anything
boot if video is the issue.

> The proper kernel mod for your kernel must be installed as well as the
> driver

If you are a gamer, have multiple displays, or have some need for 3D other than
because wobbling windows a "kewl," go to it. It is not a requirement for normal
operation.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>