Virtualization

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 21:58:03 UTC 2010

On Fri Apr  2 17:46:24 UTC 2010 *Javier Perez* wrote:
> can I just
> install yum install the virtual parts for kvm and have it start as a guest
> the already isntalled win2k ?

I used this kind of approach some years ago with VMware workstaion installed
on a Linux partition, starting WIndows vm directly from another partition
containing Windows 2k,
where I used hardware profiles to select if I would start it as native or as
vm
it was not officially supported but worked very well ;-)

But I think is not feasible in Linux with Kvm, at least right now

What you would try to get is a sort of "in place" P2V...
You could follow something like this outlined by Richard WM Jones:
http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/poor-mans-p2v/

where the dd process could be directly from within Linux from the win
partition device to a local file on it
and then verify if you can start Windows guest.
probably it could help to start creating a new hardware profile from within
native w2k, so that you start then from it the first time in virtual....

if you have proprietary startup things (such as ati control panel or other
hw controlling gasgets..) you should disable them in virtual env, eventually
starting before in safe mode...

An introduction to hw profiles here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/225810

Just a starting point...