Virtualization

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Apr 3 13:52:39 UTC 2010

 > From: Patrick O'Callaghan<pocallaghan at gmail.com>

>> >     From what I have read, you cannot port an existing win instance into a
>> >  virtual.
>> >  But if you have the kvm modules in your setup (and they should be there
>> >  in anything F10 up), then VirtualBox is easy. It installs 2 service
>> >  drivers (vboxdrvr and libvirtd). Using the manager you create a disk
>> >  space into which you install your Win instance.
>> >  Works nicely and easy to handle.
> AFAIK VBox doesn't use the KVM module. In fact you have to unload it to
> run VBox.

Hmm. That I did not know. I'll try rmmod'ing the kvm modules and
checking what happens. Virtualbox does not load any modules AFAICT. It
just runs as a service against internal kernel structures...which I had
always assumed were accessed through the kvm modules.
To the original OP.
No need to reinstall at this point. If you have say 20G-30G of drive
space in your F12 space, you can install VirtualBox, make a 20G virtual
hard drive image space (basically anywhere in the file structure,
although a non-critical partition is always good.. /opt or /video for
instance) and install Win into that space. VirtualBox handles that space
as a virtual hard drive. The Win instance thinks that that space is
'C:'. When everything is up and running for a while, you can consider
re-formatting the drive to delete your present Win structure. As far as
the machine is concerned (pre re-formatting), you will still have a dual
boot 'first' setup. Only your F12 VirtualBox manager 'knows' that you
have a Win instance which you will 'virtually' boot into.
It's actually kinda weird to have a Win desktop, sitting on top of your
Fedora desktop, but that's how it works!
And it's NOT difficult...picky maybe.
Most difficult part I ran across was getting printing working from the
Win guest.
Geoff