Virtualization

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 16:39:33 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-03 at 10:28 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 04/02/2010 09:54 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > AFAIK VBox doesn't use the KVM module. In fact you have to unload it to
> > run VBox.
> >
> I've never had to unload the KVM module to run Virtualbox.

This is what I get when I try to start a VM:

        VirtualBox can't operate in VMX root mode. Please disable the
        KVM kernel extension, recompile your kernel and reboot
        (VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE).

Whereupon I do:

        sudo modprobe -r kvm_intel

and everything works (no kernel recompile or reboot necessary).

poc