Capturing verbose exit codes

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Sat Apr 3 22:07:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 01:53:40PM -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Whenever some job is sent to the background and it finishes, it displays
> a message on the shell with the exit code. ...
> I understand that I can get the exit code with $? but is there some way
> I can get the associated message (Done/Terminated/Sementation Fault...)
> with the exit code?

Unfortunately, every exit code is a function of the individual program
that last ran, or the shellscript itself.  Do a man on the various
commands; you'll find a wide range of exit codes.  About the only thing
you can really count on--usually--is that an exit code of zero means
everything was OK.

Cheers,
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat at dminet.com