Firefox not running : unable to load XPCOM (was Re:)

Don Vogt dnvot at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 04:49:27 UTC 2010

> I would like to avoid removing and installing again firefox and
> xulrunner, but maybe as last option it would work :-?

>  Regards,

> David

After removing and re-installing xulrunner (which removed and re-installed firefox again ), I ran firefox from a terminal and got back a little bit more info than before.

firefox
/usr/bin/mozilla-plugin-config: line 73:  3364 Segmentation fault      $WRAPPER_LIB_DIR/nspluginwrapper/plugin-config -f > /dev/null 2>&1
Couldn't load XPCOM.

the lines near line 73 are:

# Set-up installed plugins
if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
    $WRAPPER_LIB_DIR/nspluginwrapper/plugin-config -f > /dev/null 2>&1
else
    $WRAPPER_LIB_DIR/nspluginwrapper/plugin-config $*
fi

As usual, that doesn't help me at all. Any ideas?