Fedora 12 install trashed boot sector of hard rive

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Apr 4 22:52:31 UTC 2010

Jeff Kittle writes:

> Hi
>
> Trying to install Fedora 12 x86_64 and the disk partition tool hung. Had
> to power down machine. Now when I try to install, it always goes
>
> To the basic text type of install and tells me I have no hard drive
> defined.
>
> I need some answers please

Most likely you had a hard drive on its last legs, and the install attempt
tipped it over the edge into brickdom. This is not unusual.

Start the installer, get as far as you can, then flip over to one of the alt
terminals: ALT-F1, ALT-F2, ALT-F3, etc… Or, I think the magic keystroke may
be CTRL-ALT-Fn rather than ALT-Fn, I don't recall. Anyway, one of them
should be a root shell. You can poke around and look for a log file, then
look at the logged error messages, for more clues. If you're lucky, one of
the other alt screens will still show the kernel whining about the dead hard
drive.

That will basically confirm that your hardware is dead. If not, the
diagnostic messages would provide additional info why your hardware is not
getting detected.