recommend hardware firewall

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Apr 4 23:25:08 UTC 2010

On 04/04/2010 02:26 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I see no benefit to a hardware router vs. running Linux with the firewall
> configured. There is a benefit to running a separate firewall machine, doing
> nothing else, passing only what you want to pass, tracking things you want to
> record for future use, not subject to holes in applications.
>
> There are good, free, firewall packages you can run on a cheap machine.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple. The difference in
power consumption between a hardware router and a cheap machine
comes to mind. Noise may also be a factor - cheap machines tend to
have noisy fans. The hardware router usually also has a smaller
footprint.

Then you have the consideration someone else mentioned - the
different processors and available software tend to require
different exploits for the router, and the rest of the network.
Defense in depth.

Now, this all applies to a home or small office setup. When you get
into larger networks the trade-offs become different. But this tread
is not talking about larger networks.

With a single machine, the cost/benefit comparison is also different
then for a small network. But you may still want the hardware router
for wireless support, or added protection.

Mikkel