recommend hardware firewall

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 06:25:37 UTC 2010

On 04/04/2010 10:01 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 05 April 2010, Michael Miles wrote:

>>> Please check the serial number and version of your befsr-41 on their web
>>> site before doing that, I understand that stuffing too new a FW into an
>>> older one will brick it.  I know of at least 3 versions of it.
>>>
>> So I should step it up by flashing all sequential updates?
>>

> I have never done that myself.  But there are warnings, or were, on the
> linksys download site, saying you can't put a version 3 image in a version 2
> unit.  I wasn't trying to scare you, just make sure you did your homework.
> ;-)  I have one of those units, but it hasn't been plugged in in a couple of
> years as I switched to DD-WRT on a clapped out k6 box with everything non-
> essential stripped.  Not even a hard drive or a floppy.  It boots from a cf
> card on the end of an ide cable.  I used gftp to update mine several times
> though, it Just Worked(TM).  And so far, no one I didn't give the password
> to has gotten to it, or any of the machines behind it.

I do have the right version 2 flashfiles
The current version installed is 2 versions from the most recent
So I have looked and yes there is a problem
I flash the next in line then reset router
Do it again and again until I get to the final firmware

At least then some of the bugs I have been experiencing can get resolved

I know I should get a better router but my $$$ usually goes to other
computer endeavours like a new nvidia 295 x 2
I can hardly wait