Severe problems with radeonHD 3470 and dual head conf

François Cami fcami at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 6 18:49:31 UTC 2010

Hello Peter,

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 14:41:33 +0200
Peter Boy <pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> I bought a new box with an ATI Radeon HD 3470 (it is one of the rare
> graphic boards with 2 DVI and passive cooling).
>
> Installing F12 it automatically configures xinerama mode (better
> spanning) as desired. But:
>
>   -  Using a VGA adapter and VGA connection the second screen uses
>      a thinner, hard to read font and just a few different colors
>      (e.g. light grey will become white).
>
>   -  Using DVI connectors directly the second monitor does not
>      receive a signal at all, allthough xrandr reports both monitors
>      connected and xorg.log reads the monitors specifications (and
>      does not report any error).
>
> If I switch the monitors, the same effect. So it is not caused by the
> monitor itself or the cable.

First of all, not debugging your card's outputs is a bug and
should be treated as such.

So could you please file a bug report at:
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/

What should be included:
* make and model of your monitors
* /var/log/dmesg after booting with the following kernel parameter:
   drm.debug=15
* /var/log/Xorg.0.log of the same attempt.

Both logs should be attached as text/plain files.

Then, please try booting with the nomodeset kernel parameter, and use
either xrandr or xorg.conf to configure your dual screen.
If that works, please add that to your bug report and include relevant
logs (mainly Xorg.0.log) of that attempt.

Cheers

François