Changing host name

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 7 21:36:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 17:38 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 04/07/2010 05:34 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> >> One wold assumme if yo are using 'service network start' you are not
> >> using NM so your comments about the changing hostname may not apply to
> >> the OP's system.
> >>

> > Unless I'm out of my mind...that assumption would not be true.....
> >
> > Even if you use NM you can still use "service network restart".   When
> > one uses NM the directories /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default
> > and /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices are empty.  This is the case on my
> > system.
> >
> > So, give it a try for yourself.
> >

> As further evidence for the doubting Thomas....
>
> egreshko at meimei networking]$ ps -eaf | grep Network
> root      1631     1  0 Mar30 ?        00:00:00 NetworkManager
> --pid-file=/var/run/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.pid
> root      1640     1  0 Mar30 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/sbin/nm-system-settings --config
> /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
>
> egreshko at meimei networking]$ sudo service network restart
> Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
> Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:                                [  OK  ]

I guess we are going to have to disagree. I am not saying you can't
run : system network restart
if you are running NM, just that these are different approaches to
networking and there is not good purpose to running network if you are
running NetworkManager and your illustration does not disprove that
assertion.
Netscape is not a newsreader, and probably never shall be. -- Tom
Christiansen
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net