Looking for a monitor driver

Leslie S Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 03:34:00 UTC 2010

        	Monday, April 5,
 2010 8:10 AM

            From:
            "Tim"
 <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>

        	To:
        	"Community support for Fedora users"
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
                Dave Higton:

 You're lucky with your CRTs.  The ones I've seen that were a few

 years old, had bad screen burn, plus a nasty colour cast as one

 of the electron guns had lost emission.  I was glad to have my

last CRT monitor replaced here (by an LCD) because it had bad

Moiré patterning, which could only be cure by defocussing it

badly.

> Having used CRTs and LCDs, I would never go back
 to CRT without
> a fight.  Fortunately LCDs are (a) so cheap (I
don't understand
> your comment about outrageously overpriced
LCDs), (b) the only
> type commonly available.

I've got CRT
 monitors, here, of 1980s vintage, still with excellent
pictures.  Of
 course, I've seen also seen bad ones, cheap and nasty
monitors which
 were always crappy, from the word go.  And middling ones
which
deteriorated in short order.  But I'm certainly not going to say
that
 "CRT monitors are bad" simply because the bad ones were.  Only a
few
 years ago I gave away a valve CRT monitor from the 1960s which still
had
 a razor sharp image.

I've seen plenty of bad LCDs.  Everything
from:  Only the highest
resolution ones don't look like you're
staring at a fluorescent tube
through flywire.  Glaringly obvious
dead pixels, or even a whole third
of the screen all magenta.  The
colour response being quite crap
(something that standard TV LCDs go
to all sorts of tricks to try and
get around).  Very limited angle of
 view without getting strange
distortions - thankfully that's getting
 better, but it's still not
there.

While it was still possible
 to buy both types, it was common to see that
LCDs two or three times
 the price of a CRT looked worse than the CRT.
The cheap ones really
looked crap.  Shops stopped setting up side by
side comparisons,
because even the untrained eye could see the
difference.  To get what
 I will accept as a decent picture, on an LCD,
I'd have to pay three
times as much as what I consider acceptable.

It's the "Emperor's
new clothes" all over again.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't
 send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
read
messages from the public lists.

I have this counter comment. I use a NEC Multisync e1100, and the only advantage I see offered by an LCD monitor is the width. To have a LCD monitor that gives me a full 11inch vertical letter size or A4 size as 1-1 on the screen puts the LCD monitor out of my budget range.

I can purchase great quality (exchange) CRT monitor from computer shops for about $50 to $60.  (I can buy a used P4 working system for the same price).
The CRT monitor I have can provide fine hue adjustment, and very close color match to my laser printer output.  I cannot say the same for the LCD monitors that I have used. It also has very fast response time, but my use is not for gaming, so I don't care.

The negative side of CRT is the big weight and footprint.

Leslie