CUPS printer choice

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Apr 8 11:40:17 UTC 2010

CUPS often offers me a number of choices for the same printer,
and I have no idea which to choose, or what difference
a different choice would make.

Currently I am trying to use an HP OfficeJet J5480,
and CUPS offers me the choices
--------------------------------
HP Officejet J4500 series (CB780A)
HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB #1)
HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB CN89C552GR052T
HPLIP)
Does it make any difference which I choose?

(If it doesn't, why offer me the choice?
If it does, why not explain the difference?)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net