CUPS printer choice

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Apr 8 16:52:37 UTC 2010

Tim Waugh wrote:

>> Currently I am trying to use an HP OfficeJet J5480,
>> and CUPS offers me the choices
>> --------------------------------
>> HP Officejet J4500 series (CB780A)
>> HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB #1)
>> HP Officejet J4500 series (HP Officejet J4500 series USB CN89C552GR052T
>> HPLIP)
>> --------------------------------
>> Does it make any difference which I choose?
>
> Some.  Your best choice is probably the last of the three.

> If you use the printing configuration tool, system-config-printer, it
> will use the information at its disposal to pick the best choice for
> you.  In this case, the HPLIP 'hp' backend is available for an HP
> printer, and you get more functionality that way at the moment -- ink
> level reporting and so on.

Thanks very much.
As you suggested, system-config-printer did suggest the last of the three.

Now I am desperately searching for an appropriate PPD file for this printer,
which CUPS asks me to provide.
If I can't find one before tomorrow I shall have to print out
my Ryanair boarding card under Windows XP ...

Do you (or does anyone) know where I can find this PPD file?
I've spent some time googling for it without reward.
HP, in particular, seems to offer me a remarkable amount
of irrelevant material.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net