Yum Update - Metadata does not match checksum

Melanie melanie78 at gmx.at
Sat Apr 10 17:00:49 UTC 2010

Am Samstag, den 10.04.2010, 08:52 -0700 schrieb Craig White:
> On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 12:57 +0200, Melanie wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Last week I installed Fedora 12 x86_64 from DVD (Download from
> > Fedora HP). After the install I tried to update my system with "yum
> > update". But I get following error messages (for all mirrors):
> >
> > [root at Melanie ~]# yum update
> > Geladene Plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
> > fedora/primary_db                                        |  12 MB
> > 00:09
> > http://fedora.inode.at/fedora/linux/releases/12/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/5cba24ab31a5e98f382ac49c9fffbe443749e889a777e0dbc4aa70d20104d20b-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
> > Versuche anderen Spiegel-Server.
> > fedora/primary_db                                        |  12 MB
> > 00:09
> > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/fedora/linux/releases/12/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/5cba24ab31a5e98f382ac49c9fffbe443749e889a777e0dbc4aa70d20104d20b-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
> > Versuche anderen Spiegel-Server.
> > fedora/primary_db                                        |  12 MB
> > 01:31
> > http://fedora.zero42.at/linux/releases/12/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/5cba24ab31a5e98f382ac49c9fffbe443749e889a777e0dbc4aa70d20104d20b-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
> > Versuche anderen Spiegel-Server.
> >
> > I searched the web for help. I already attempted yum clean metadata, yum
> > clean dbcache and also yum clean all.
> > I downloaded the files repomd.xml, filelists.xml.gz, other.xml.gz,
> > primary.xml.gz with wget --no-cache, but I still get the same error
> > message.
> > I also deleted the cache files with rm -fr /var/cache/yum/*.
> > I changed the yum.conf - http_caching=packaging respectively
> > http_caching=none and also the metadata_expire.
> > I commented out the mirrorlist line and instead commented the baseurl
> > line in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo and fedora-updates.repo.
> > I stopped iptables and disabled SELinux.
> > But none of this worked for me.
> >
> > yum -d 10 list does not show any other error messages.
> >
> > I don´t use a proxy and I don´t use the fastestmirror plugin.
> >
> > Kernel Linux 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.x86_64
> > Yum Version: 3.2.25
> > AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor
> > 4GB RAM
> >
> > Do you have any suggestions how I can solve this problem?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Melanie
> ----
> the fact that it tries to use the 3 mirrors in Austria sure makes it
> look like you are using fastest mirror plugin but it should work
> regardless but there have been times when mirrors are out of sync.
>
> I would probably try to put the mirror list URL back and get back to
> original configuration and assume that your problem was temporary or
> [...]

Hi Craig!

Thanks for your answer.

I didn´t have problems to download with wget. But of course I have
problems with Internet. Sometimes the websites doesn´t load correctly
and sometimes I get the error message: SSL_Error_Bad_Mac_Read. But I
think this is a problem of Firefox.

I also get back to the original configurations.

In the meantime I updated yum to 3.2.27-2 - With the new yum version the
above mentioned error didn´t occur again. But I got a lot of http 416
errors. So I googled again and found this site:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/yum-3.2.27-3.fc12
I updated to yum 3.2.27-3

With the new yum version, the update works partcially. I still get a lot
of HTTP 416 errors, sometimes also "metadata does not match checksum".
But yum update also downloaded a lot of files for the update. But for
some files I got an error message with the suggestion: yum clean
metadata. After a lot of this error messages, I stopped yum update and
run yum clean metadata. But now I have the same problems again (HTTP 416
errors).

As you suggested I put in a base URL from one of the fedora mirrors
directly. But I get the error "metadata does not match checksum" again.

Since last week, I reinstalled Fedora 3 times. Do you think a new
reinstall could help?

Melanie