Yum Update - Metadata does not match checksum

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Apr 10 19:47:28 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 19:00 +0200, Melanie wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 10.04.2010, 08:52 -0700 schrieb Craig White:

> I also get back to the original configurations.
>
> In the meantime I updated yum to 3.2.27-2 - With the new yum version the
> above mentioned error didn´t occur again. But I got a lot of http 416
> errors. So I googled again and found this site:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/yum-3.2.27-3.fc12
> I updated to yum 3.2.27-3
>
> With the new yum version, the update works partcially. I still get a lot
> of HTTP 416 errors, sometimes also "metadata does not match checksum".
> But yum update also downloaded a lot of files for the update. But for
> some files I got an error message with the suggestion: yum clean
> metadata. After a lot of this error messages, I stopped yum update and
> run yum clean metadata. But now I have the same problems again (HTTP 416
> errors).
>
> As you suggested I put in a base URL from one of the fedora mirrors
> directly. But I get the error "metadata does not match checksum" again.
>
> Since last week, I reinstalled Fedora 3 times. Do you think a new
> reinstall could help?
----
updating should be simple and should just generally, always work. As for
re-installing, this isn't Windows (or Macintosh) and the configuration
files are all text files and it is generally easy enough to fix a Linux
system without resorting to re-install but of course, that means that
you have to identify the problem. When I first started with Linux (many
years ago), I would find new/novel ways to break a system and re-install
and it took a while to figure out that I couldn't use a Mac or Windows
to edit configuration files because of the differences in line endings
which would make some things absolutely crazy.

I do get the sense that you suspect that something you are doing is
causing this breakage which is why you are re-installing. Is your Linux
installed on ext3 or ext4 filesystem? What are you using to edit config
files?

Updating with yum should be dead simple...

# yum update
Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, downloadonly, fastestmirror,
priorities, refresh-packagekit
 * fedora: mirrors.usc.edu
 * rpmfusion-free: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
 * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
 * updates: mirrors.usc.edu
Setting up Update Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check