Installing F12 on Mactel

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Mon Apr 12 10:46:45 UTC 2010

Dear Leon,

On 08/01/10 19:47 +0000, Leon Stringer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've tried to install F12 on my Core 2 Duo iMac. The installation
>seemed to go okay but there's no sign of Fedora when I boot. I hold
>down the <Option> key and just get the MacOS partition. Is there a
>trick to this?

Please consider using rEFIt: http://refit.sourceforge.net/doc/

The iMac uses EFI, and the approach I took was this:

1. Install Mac OS updates.
2. Run bootcamp, resize the iMac partition so that I have one large
    partition extra.
3. rEFIt (I think I did steps 2, 3 in this order: read rEFIt docs)
4. Boot F11 installation disk (Note that last time I checked, F12 has
    no proper support for the iMac 27" ATI Technologies Inc Device
    [1002:9488] video; I installed F11 so that the proprietary driver
    will work till the free driver is available.  The alternatives
    appear to be: install the F11 xorg compoiled for F12 (can be
    downloaded from somewhere), or Ubuntu have a deal with ATI to
    package a preview version of the 10.4 driver: extract from the .deb
    package, build and install)
5. I did not delete the EFI partition, nor the Mac partition, so I
    made one small /boot partition and then made the rest into an LVM
    partition, and used that to make swap and /home partitions.
Nick Urbanik             http://nicku.org           nicku at nicku.org