Adding a NIC

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 13:13:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:51:04 +0800
Ed Greshko wrote:

> I just added an NIC to one of my Virtual F12 instances which uses
> NetworkManager.  It just added it in without fuss or muss.  It named it
> eth1.  Isn't this how "easy" NM is supposed to be?  :-)

My impression is that it is completely random, and I long ago
gave up actually caring what the name was and just live with
whatever the system winds up doing. We've got a machine
at work that can multi-boot about 16 different linux distros
for testing software on a real (as opposed to virtual) machine,
and the split is almost exactly 50/50 on which ones called
the one interface eth0 versus eth1. (There happen to be
two NICs in the machine, but only one is actually connected).