Adding a NIC

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 15:09:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:34:38 +0300 (EEST)
> Gabriel VLASIU wrote:
>
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>>
>> Look for NAME="eth0", NAME="eth1".
>
> Ah, but this all gets very Alice In Wonderland. The
> names in the udev rules are the names of the "device",
> the names of the "interface" can be different.
>
> If you are using the traditional "network" interface
> then you may also need to fiddle the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* scripts
> to have the right names and point to the right
> hardware address.

For the (strange) record - and on F13.

I changed "/etc/udev/rules.d/70...net..." to associate my single NIC's
MAC address to eth1 (instead of eth0, of course). I rebooted without
changing ifcfg-eth0's name or contents; and my network was up and
running. And "ifconfig" returned eth1. So NM must be ignoring
ifcfg-eth0 or eth1 is using ifcfg-eth0 based on the HWADDR value in
that file. Any other ideas?