Another yum update problem

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Apr 13 03:42:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:37:29PM +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> On 04/13/2010 04:21 AM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 09:41:08AM +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> I still get errors.
>
> updates
>                                                                 | 4.4 kB
>      00:00
> http://ga14.files.bigpond.com:4040/fedora/linux/updates/12/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] repomd.xml does not match metalink for updates
> Trying other mirror.

Thank you for including the http URL above.  That helps a lot.

That mirror is in fact not up-to-date.

The metalink reports this as the expected repodata.xml hash:
  <hash type="sha256">9950061445b5cfd8715be2e6ce4b0648f5e219984efd7a36c2391b7ec5c58b7f</hash>

which corresponds to repomd.xml revision:
  <revision>1271084436</revision>

while the bigpond URL still has this older revision:
 <revision>1270856692</revision>

Now, I admit, there is a bug in MirrorManager which I fixed on Friday
but haven't pushed into production yet.  In this case, your selected
mirror is believed to be up-to-date by MirrorManager, but because the
content changed in the last few hours but hasn't yet propogated to
this mirror, yum will refuse to use it, knowing that there is a newer
version of metadata available.  The bug is that MM should account for
the propogation delay a little better than it does right now, and
allow still fairly recent metadata, even though it's not completely
current, to still be used.

I plan to get MM fixed in production this week yet, after the beta is
out.

Thanks,
Matt

--