Adding a NIC

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Apr 13 16:52:25 UTC 2010

On 04/13/2010 06:05 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 08:32 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:34:38 +0300 (EEST)
>> Gabriel VLASIU wrote:
>>
>>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>>>
>>> Look for NAME="eth0", NAME="eth1".
>>
>> Ah, but this all gets very Alice In Wonderland. The
>> names in the udev rules are the names of the "device",
>> the names of the "interface" can be different.
>>
>> If you are using the traditional "network" interface
>> then you may also need to fiddle the
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* scripts
>> to have the right names and point to the right
>> hardware address.
>>
>> If you are using NetworkManager, God knows how to
>> name the interfaces...
>
> God may or maynot know but normally the wireless interfacew is eth1.

Really?  On my systems the first wireless is usually wlan0.

As to how the cards are enumerated...unless the system was installed
with the new NIC already there, it depends on how the mobo scans the
buses.  For example, on Dell 2950s, the on-board NICs are seen first,
followed by the PCI cards.  On the (more or less equivalent) Dell
1950s, PCI NICs are seen before the on-board NICs.  Go figure.

Once they're found and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX scripts
are created, the HWADDR in those files pretty much keeps things tied
together.  If you stuff in a new NIC, it _should_ be the next one in
sequence, regardless which bus it's on as the system generally honors
existing configs (note I said "generally").
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-  "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick"  -
-     themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."       -
-                                  -- Winston Churchill              -