copy and paste

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 22:04:04 UTC 2010

On 14 April 2010 14:21, Dennis Kaptain <dkaptain at yahoo.com.mx> wrote:

>> I've noticed that copy/paste isn't working as it used to.
>>

>> Highlight text by dragging mouse over it to copy
>> middle click to
>> paste.
>>
>> It seems now I need to type <Ctrl> C to copy and
>> <Ctrl> V to paste.
>>
>> Is there a setting that could have
>> changed that altered this behavior?
>>
>> this is a fully updated F11
>> system.
>>

> Do you have some kind of clipboard manager installed. If
> yes then check whether they are set to sync selections. If you want
> the selection to stay separate from the regular desktop clipboard, turn
> of sync'ing of selections.
>

> It seems all I have installed is Glipper. I can see it in gconf-editor. There doesn't seem to be anything else installed or running.
> xclipper is installed but does not show up in ps aux | grep clip
> if I try to start xclipper via the command line I get an error that it is already running but I see via google that it really isn't running it's just a strange way it interacts (or doesn't) with Gnome.
>
> Do you have any specific ideas what I can check in Glipper?
>  I looked in ~/.gconf/apps/glipper and found nothing interesting.
> Thanks again.

I don't use Gnome so I can't give you specific hints, but I do use
Clipman on XFCE. With clipman, I just right click the panel applet and
go to properties. There I have "Sync Selections" un-selected.

This is the behaviour I get with these settings:
1. If I select something I can paste it with middle-click but it
doesn't show up in my clipboard.
2. If I use Ctrl-C then I _can't_ paste with middle click, I have to
use Ctrl-V and this time it _does_ show up in the clipboard.

Hope this helps.

PS: could you please not separate your response with two hyphens like
this "--". This makes thunderbird think what follows next is the
signature and I can't edit it. Maybe you can use some other characters
like underscores or asterisks.
--
Suvayu