Root with GUI

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Apr 15 15:59:56 UTC 2010

On 04/15/2010 11:42 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Since they were non-techies they didn't know the concept of
> file/directory ownership so "permission denied" was a real shocker.  So,
> they'd log back in a root and try to fix things only to make them
> worse...or make things insecure.  Directories which were previously 755
> became 777.

I should have pointed out that when confronted with this new "permission
denied" message they would ask their equally non-technical cubical mate
who would tell them about the command they learned (chmod) that seemed
to fix things...yet not really knowing why.  Their advice was "Oh, just
do "this"."  :-)