gpk-update-viewer vs. yum

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 20:44:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 18:51 +0000, BeartoothHOS wrote:
> 	Is it just me??
>
> 	I've noticed, on several machines (PC, laptop, netbook) that if
> the machine has no connection, or thinks it has none, the gpk function
> claims there are no updates; but if I doubt that and run yum update, it
> may immediately get over a hundred -- or at least report a failure to
> connect.
>
> 	Couldn't gpk do the same??

Sounds like the old "interface not managed by NetworkManager" trick.
Some Gnome apps rely on NM to tell them if the machine is connected. If
the interface is not managed by NM, they don't realize the connection
works. This happens to Evolution for example. Luckily yum is not a Gnome
app and therefore is not confused.

Solution: mark the interface as NM-managed (in system-control-network).

poc