Clamav

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 22:09:05 UTC 2010

On 04/16/2010 03:00 PM, Seann Clark wrote:
> Michael Miles wrote:
>> On 04/16/2010 01:39 PM, jdow wrote:

>>> Windows. That is mostly because it is still perceived as being a
>>> boutique
>>> OS with savvy users. When that changes I expect to see numbers of
>>> active
>>> exploits out on the Internet to increase sharply. I would prefer a
>>> casual
>>> date put on his condom BEFORE rather than AFTER he makes mostions to
>>> impregnate me, which at my age is hopeless.
>>>
>>> {^_^}   Fortunately Joanne has not had to reinstall YET.
>> I started with the Vic 20 then went to the 64
>>
>> I had a Amiga 3000 up to a 68060 and of course lightwave and the
>> video toaster by newtek.
>>
>> Now that Amiga was a system which I adored
>>
>> I find Linux similar but I love the drag and drop of the amiga
>> especially for devices.
>>

>> I run an Amd Phenom 2 945 now initialy with Win 7 x64 ultimate.
>>
>> Am totally fed up with Windows
>>
>> I like Fedora very much and am extremely impressed with security.
>>
>> I freaked out when Clamav found a trojan in my mozilla directory only
>> to see it was the test virus that comes with clamav.
>>
>> I have a home network here with 2 other computers on it. Both Win 7
>> machines
>>

>> We do not share mail service and only share music and videos from
>> this machine
>> (fat 4 tera byte hd)
>>

>> Anyway I think I will let it run for a bit but I'm still not sure I
>> want it on.
>> Still have really no need unless viruses start to take hold with linux.
>>
>> At the very same time once the damage is done by a nasty virus it is
>> too late.
>>
>> Some protection is needed, I would think
>>

>> I put in a backup Win 7 dvd and scanned it
>>
>> Clam av found 4 on the dvd. Bitdefender  for unices found 15
>>

>> Michael
> It is mostly a personal choice, but if you want to protect the two
> doze computers from infecting each other with shared files that are
> controlled on the Fedora box, you can run clam on that to catch it. I
> run Symantec Corporate on all my workstations, and on my fileserver (a
> Fedora box with a large amount of space) to protect my systems from
> spreading virus'. I am less concerned with the linux box getting
> infected, though, as was pointed out earlier in the thread, the
> attackers go for the lowest hanging fruit first. At the very least it
> can help protect against spreading of known viruses.
>

> As a note, Virus Total is a good proving ground on how most AV
> programs just plain suck half the time especially with bleeding edge
> bugs. (Search Sans ISC for articles on that aspect, interesting read
> if you have time to kill)
>
> ~Seann
Thanks for all the input.

Is Clamav the best alternative?

It missed viruses that Bitdefender for unices caught.

Although Bitdefender will cost me $$$ which I do not like

Other than just good practice.

I did mess up and was leaving terminal open in root for a while just for
convenience but that practice has been stopped