F-12 and Skype -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Apr 17 01:51:44 UTC 2010

On 16/04/10 19:49, suvayu ali wrote:
> On 16 April 2010 15:07, Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net>  wrote:
>
>> On 16/04/10 17:44, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>>
>>> Since you have the skype to skype part working, why not try the PC to
>>> phone part with ekiga (or some other FOSS SIP client) instead?
>>>

>>     Yes, I'll try most anything, where would I get the phone connection
>>     for Ekiga? I had to subscribe at Skype to get it and so far it
>>     doesn't look like it will work ...
>>

> I think Ekiga offers you a selection of services to signup, you can
> choose any of them. I haven't used SIP myself, but I am sure some on
> this list have. I vaguely recall a discussion about SIP service
> providers in the past. You might want to check the archives about
> that.
>

>>     Bob

    I found that Ekiga was already installed in this F-12, originally
    installed from the Omega F12 Live CD, and yes upon starting it it
    guides you through configuration and obtaining an outgoing telephone
    connection [for ten Dollars]. I did all this, an involved process
    but doable. It doesn't work, it acts as though it may be connecting
    to the "echo test" site but there is no audio to indicate that it is
    functioning, just a little call completed at the bottom.

    I would expect it should work since it was included with this
    version of Fedora. The other VOIP applications I have tried worked
    without much effort once installed. Strange!

    Obviously I have something wrong. Does anyone else have this
    working? Have any idea what I should do next?

    Bob