f12 sometimes is slow to start

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Apr 17 11:43:52 UTC 2010

On 04/17/2010 06:29 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 12:08 +0200, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
>
>> I fail to see how dns should have local graphical logins
>> slow down randomly, to be honest. Could you care to ellaborate?
>>
> Because the display, even when on the same machine, is still handled as
> server and client, using hostnames for the networking.  A change of
> names or addresses, mid-use, can be a bit of a pain, too.

It is worth mentioning that if one is running sendmail that under
certain circumstances and depending on the configuration the boot
process will appear to freeze for some time when DNS requests are not
being resolved.

One can easily determine if their system may suffer this fate by booting
their system with the network disconnected.

On my F12 virtual system, it will present the login screen in 1:20 with
the network connected, and 2:31 when the network is disconnected.

I do think the OP is talking about boot time and certainly the network
status can influence that.

--
Scientists will study your brain to learn more about your distant
cousin, Man. Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7