Dump and filesystem types

Chris Kottaridis chriskot at quietwind.net
Sat Apr 17 23:07:47 UTC 2010

I am about to upgrade from Fedora Core 8 to Fedora Core 12. I typically
do this by dumping the partitions into a file on another host and doing
a completely new installation. Then use restore interactively to pull in
the things I need.

I've seen various postings that dump only works on ext3 file systems and
not ext4. Now I happen to have ext3 on my Fedora Core 8 machine so I
assume I can dump OK.

Now will Fedora Core 12 default to ext4 file systems ?

I assume, if I do use ext4 file systems,  the restore command will still
be able to read the old ext3 dump file and restore the files into the
ext4 file system with no problem.

Also, if I go with ext4 on Fedora Core 12 what backup command is
available ?

I've only ever used dump (with amanda), I actually haven't been backing
up this Fedora Core 8 machine because I considered it expendable and was
willing to loose any data. However, I have collected some data that I'd
prefer not to lose if I don't have to lose it. But, after I get Fedora
Core 12 I am going to really use it and will want to back it up
aggressively.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis