gnome-key-manager-> seahorse

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 06:10:00 UTC 2010

On 04/16/2010 07:05 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:25:27 -0500
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>

>> Why would anyone change the name of gnome-key-manager (a name with some
>> meaning) to seahorse (seemingly meaningless)?
>>
> I think this falls under my theory:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/braindump/darwin.html

I assume this is written in a tongue in cheek manner but this is a a
rather common misconception. Seahorse has replaced gnome-keyring-manager
and it is not a simple rename but a different project and done by a team
of volunteers.  Let's look at the business rationale:  First of all, not
every company relies on the support and services model.  There is a wide
variety of business models built around free and open source software.
The second misunderstanding is what support and services actually
mean.   Red Hat, for example does assist customers to setup the
environment to meet particular needs but that hardly covers everything.
Support also involves developing new features or in many cases,
development entirely new projects to meet customer needs and also
elevation of bug fixes.  Red Hat has a fairly large content services
team which is responsible for pretty good documentation in
http://redhat.com and some of the documentation in
http://docs.fedoraproject.org  not to mention http://kbase.redhat.com
and content for the Red Hat certification courses.

Rahul