power saving, monitor poweroff

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 19:18:18 UTC 2010

Dj YB <yehielb at mail.ru> writes:
> I am considering the best ways to save power while I am off the pc and
> in general.  my question, is thee a difference in terms of powersaving
> between manually shutting down the monitor (pushing the button) and
> the screensaver monitor powering off.  moreover, is the graphic card
> keep on working the same when the screensaver poweroff the monitor?

The power on monitors I've tested is the same when using the
front-pannel soft-off button or when the computer does a soft-off over
the DVI or VGA connector.  Note, soft off on many monitors leaves some
circuits powered, so the power draw is still a few watts (mine all seem
to be around 5 watts).  Using the hardwired power supply off switch on
the bottom or back of the monitor saves those extra 5 watts.

The big difference I see between software blanking and explicitly
pushing the button is that my mouse is sometimes between two position
reports and is essentially on hair trigger.  Bumping the desk, or in
some cases just walking into the room causes it to vibrate enough to
unblank the monitor.  I therefore try to turn off the monitor anytime
I'm leaving for a while.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3