Clamav

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 18 22:32:58 UTC 2010

From: "Patrick O'Callaghan" <pocallaghan at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, 2010/April/18 14:27

> On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 12:28 -0700, Michael Miles wrote:
>> If the virus definitions from Clamav is written for linux based
>> viruses and not windows based then what real good is it.
>
> You seem to be rather confused about ClamAV. AFAIK it's designed to trap
> Windows viruses in email, since these are the ones that actually matter.
> Perhaps it looks for some other stuff, I wouldn't know, but I'm pretty
> sure Windows malware is its main focus.

Just as a point here their web page does not imply this. Although email
injection is not as common with Linux there are still some other injection
routes that get discovered from time to time.

The nice thing about Linux is that you can run several products of that
type easily. ClamAV might be setup to filter email, at least. Then it
can be used for periodic scans. So can other tools.

Needed or not, I personally believe it is "wise" to use them. And if
you feel ClamAV is inappropriate do mention tools that are appropriate
such as chkrootkit and rkhunter. They only go after specific types of
threats. These threats seem to be the most common nasties Linux users
get saddled with.

{o.o}