Installing Linux on sdb ??

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Mon Apr 19 22:10:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 17:57 -0400, Jim wrote:

> I have a computer with Two Sata drivers and I need to install Windows 7
> and Fedora 12 .
>
> Can Windows 7 be installed on sdb1 or does it need to be on sda1 I'm not
> familiar with Windows 7.
> I'm setting up this box for a Newbie that needs to have Windows and
> Linux dual boot.

Jim,

More important than the drives will be the order you install Windows and
Fedora. Cut to the chase: install Windows first. It will probably want
to install itself on the /dev/sda1 partition. This is not a problem for
Fedora 12. Just be sure you tell the Fedora installer to install it
on /dev/sdbX -- it will probably want to make two partitions on /dev/sdb
for /boot and LVM -- and to install GRUB on /dev/sda.

Then edit /etc/grub.conf to uncomment the #hiddenmenu line and set the
timeout to 5 seconds or so.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL