[OT] Deafening silence

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Wed Apr 21 20:45:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 12:22 -0700, Wayne Feick wrote:
> I've finally given up on Evolution and moved back to Thunderbird.

Please note here that I am not attempting to deny that any of the
problems you are having are real. I am just providing another data
point.

> Using an LDAP server consistently causes lockups.

I use an LDAP server and I have never seen this happen. I have been
using Evolution as my e-mail client since it became the default in
Fedora (at least 4 or 5 releases ago I think).

I do use the Palm sync capabilities; that seems to mostly work well as
long as I only sync in one direction. As soon as I try syncing both
ways, I end up with duplicated tasks, memos, and contacts that are a
real pain to remove. I expect this happens in the lower level gpilot
software rather than in Evolution itself, but I don't know that.

I don't connect to any other calendar servers with Evolution, nor do I
have any need to connect to Exchange, nor have I ever filed a bug
against Evolution, so I cannot comment on those.

I have not noticed Evolution trying to index everything on startup, but
I have heard complaints about Thunderbird 3 doing this.

I think Evolution has definitely gotten better since I started using it.
I used to see it crash suddenly. I still have that happen but only once
in a great while now. It used to have issues with it continuing to show
me that there were messages in a folder when in fact it was empty. This
too has been largely fixed in my experience.

But in the end, it's always "use whatever works for you".

--Greg