EPEL clamav packages

Dan Irwin rummymobile at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 23:50:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> I would guess that terming rpmforge as 'volatile' would depend upon who
> you ask - I doubt Dag would agree. I tend to think of rpmforge as
> necessary for running CentOS/RHEL servers and think of EPEL as more
> 'volatile'

Sorry, I didn't actually say rpmforge is volatile. To clarify:

EPEL requires that packages have consistent configuration and abi
compatibility. This is a core requirement for inclusion into EPEL.
Given that clamav is a constantly moving target, maybe EPEL isn't the
best place for it.

We do, however, have good packages for clamav from rpmforge. Obviously
these packages are updated frequently, and don't have the
configuration and abi compatibility required for EPEL.

My comment regarding having a repo like debian volatile was to provide
a repo for RHEL/CentOS users which contains packages which don't
guarantee the required compatability. Which is basically what the
clamav packages on rpmforge provide.

Or we could let epel orphan clamav in EPEL6 and just use rpmforge...

Dan