New Kernel still will not boot

George R Goffe grgoffe at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 19:50:57 UTC 2010

Michael,

Thanks for your response.

George...

"It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't so." Wil Rogers

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:37:40 -0700
From: Michael Miles <mmamiga6 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: New Kernel still will not boot
To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org

On 04/22/2010 08:09 PM, George R Goffe wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm running 2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.PAE on my laptop with this video
> card: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Quadro FX
> 570M (rev a1)
>
> I am still experiencing a hang during boot; the original kernel works
> great (2.6.32.9-67.fc12.i686* kernels)
>
> case 1:
> o reboot on console
> o hit enter at the grub prompt; default = kernel above
> o freeze happens at what appears to be some kind of graphics event
> near what could be nouveau initialization
>
> case 2:
> o power reset
> o type "e" at grub prompt; default = kernel above
> o down arrow to "kernel" line, type "e"
> o hit escape
> o hit escape
> o boot proceeds "normally" with the system and graphics card functional.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts as to how to proceed?
>
> Regards,
>
> George...
>
> "It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't
> so." Wil Rogers
>

> Make sure you have the proper nvidia kernel module for the kernel
> you are using. You must match the nvidia proprietary driver
> version to the nvidia kernel module for your kernel

I had given up on the Nvidia folks some time ago. None of their mods seemed to work for me and their lack of support was deafening.

The original kernel from the install works great (2.6.32.9-67.fc12.i686), I presume with the nouveau driver. My thoughts are that something was changed.

Once boot has completed, the card AND driver appear to be functioning properly.