Fwd: Updates next steps

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 24 03:05:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 20:11 -0500, charles zeitler wrote:
> I propose we look at two things right away:
>
> 1. Limit the frequency of non-critical updates to once per week in
> stable releases

This was brought up, here, a few weeks back, and rightly shot down in
flames for being a bad thing.

If there's a working update for something I have, I want it straight
away.  I don't want it delayed to suit some *dumb* rule.

I do my updates when I want to, and not automatically.  If you want your
updates run to a schedule, then that's what *you* should be doing,
client-side.

Currently, server load will be randomly spread.  But if everyone did
their updates on the first of the month, or every Sunday morning, then
the server would have a very uneven load.  Perhaps one that was
overwhelming.

Microsoft has doing this delaying tactic with update releasing for
years, and has pissed off no end of people for doing so.  Learn from
other people's mistakes, don't copy them.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.