root passwd

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Apr 24 13:34:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 05:55:57AM -0700, Lewis Jessup wrote:
> I just installed fedora core 12 and install excepts a password for root but when trying to login it gives an
> 'authentication failure"
>
> Have tried booting up using 'rescue installed system' going to shell:
> shell-4.0#
> run passwd, and change password, then reboot
> but cannot login as root have no trouble loggin as user.
>
> auy sugestions

I'm not certain you can change it (and have it stick) using rescue
mode. I'd boot up in single-user mode and change it from the prompt
in that mode.

at the grub screen press a key to halt the boot there. move the cursor
to the correct line (the one it should boot), type the letter 'e',
scroll to the end, add the word "single", hit enter, type the letter
'b' to boot then when you get to a prompt change the password using
the passwd command. then you should be able to reboot normally and
log in as root.

(this is from memory, so some details may differ from reality)

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.