root passwd

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Apr 24 13:34:12 UTC 2010

Hi Lewis,

Lewis Jessup wrote:
> I just installed fedora core 12 and install excepts a password for
> root but when trying to login it gives an 'authentication failure"
>
> Have tried booting up using 'rescue installed system' going to shell:
> shell-4.0#
> run passwd, and change password, then reboot
> but cannot login as root have no trouble loggin as user.

Are you trying to login as root via the graphical login?  If so,
that's disabled by default.  Please search the archives for many long
discussions on the subject of root login before deciding whether you
want to enable that or not.

If you're trouble is with logging in as root from a terminal, that's a
different matter and you can ignore what I said. :)

When you make a mistake, make amends immediately.  It's easier to eat
crow while it's still warm.