root passwd

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Apr 25 13:24:50 UTC 2010

On 04/25/2010 02:21 AM, Roger wrote:
> I always set up /etc/sudoers to allow user many but not all root privileges
> Using root is dangerous.
>
> su
> enter root password
> vim /etc/sudoers

You should really use visudo to edit the file. It takes care of
things like locking the file, (not really needed on a one-admin
system) and adding some syntax checking. It also defaults to the
correct file name.

> go to the line which says
> ## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
> root ALL=(ALL) ALL
> under that enter your username <tab> All=(ALL) <tab> ALL
> where <tab> is the tab key.
> esc wq! to save and quit
>
> When you need root access from a terminal type sudo <some command> and
> it will ask for your user password.
> type exit or close the terminal to exit sudo.
>
> There are probably better ways but this works for me.
> Roger

One fairly easy way is to give access to a specific group, and then
make the users you want to be able to use sudo members of that
group. There is an example you can uncomment in /etc/sudoers.

%wheel        ALL=(ALL)       ALL

Another way, that you may find easier to maintain is to put this
part of the configuration in a file in /etc/suduers.d...

Mikkel